Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top of the Morning to Ya

Hello All!
Happy St Patty's Day and Welcome to my Blog!

Today has already been a long one and its only 10 am. Up at 430 for work, grabbed my mason jar full of overnight oats and chia seeds coconut-y goodness (pictures are still in the works...camera's battery is a bit on the finnicky side). At work by 5:30 AM, one of the ladies working out commented on the "mush" that I was eating, saying "Wow, you must be brave one to eat that", I had a little chuckled a bit at the look on her face. But in general, I am used to people commenting on my dietary choices, often referring to it as rabbit food. This title actually used to spark a nerve, being initially I was forced towards health decisions due to my intolerances. I was self conscious about this inability to consume the normal college kids diet, and it was only last summer when out of a moment of weakness consumed a large piece of pizza and entirely suffered from it for two days, that I came to accept that this is a part of who I am. On a positive note, I've been able to take true form as a health nut, and that I am perfectly okay with.

My roomie, who is used to my foodage ventures (as I like to call 'em), has been particularly amused at my eating habits recently. As of late, I have been avoiding the college cafeteria like the plague and experimenting with green smoothies full of spinach and pumpkin, socca and sweet potater hummus (in my wannabe magic bullet of amazingness). I've been definitly getting some strange looks from her way and she definitly didn't appreciate the site of my green smoothie deliciousness when she was sick was the flu (sorry B. Lou!!)


Sad news folks, this once avid college pitcher is being forced into early retirement in her senior season. I went to the docs and she said that it's probably torn and keeping up my unnatural rotational routine will only cause unrepairable damage. So on orders and notes, I am out of the season participating only in non-arm workouts, stats and recruiting. . On a serious note, softball is a game that I have made many the sacrifices and commited much time to. I've said the phrase "Sorry I can't, I have practice/game etc" and it has truthfully terminated some intense relationships and friendships that held much meaning in my teenage years. But this said, I have absolutely no regrets. Softball has helped me become mentally and physically strong. There's no words to explain the feeling when you step onto the mound. All eyes are on you and the pressure in the air is thick, but once you feel the seams under your fingertips, nothing else matters. Nothing can touch you on that mound, not voices telling you your not good enough, low self confidence, physical pain...nothing, its just you and your heart beating hard in your chest out to throw one pitch at a time. There's no past, there's no looking to the next play and worrying about what's going to happen, it's just that one pitch you have to throw right there and than.  And than came the day two weeks ago, I went to go grab the ball and feel the seams under my fingertip...only to realize that my hand had gone numb. But this isn't the end, it's time to do some soul searching and figure what the athlete in me is destined to head next. RIP Chuck (my nick name for my arm...short of Chucker of course), it's been real. Time for a new chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment