Thursday, June 2, 2011

Live in the moment

June got started on the right foot with the delivery of this from the fitnessista's Opensky promo:

Swoon.

My protein needs will be deliciously met from now on.

Which brings me to my goals for the month of June, which is going to be a great month, I already decided:

1) Fitness goals:

  • Let me introduce you to my swimming quest. I am a summer lifeguard at the outdoor pool here, and we are required to swim a 500 m every week. But since I'm not the strongest swimmer to begin with, I decided that I need to up that to 3 times a week.
  • Running: My 10K competition against myself begins SATURDAY! I will be running a 10K called Running of the Pink for cervical cancer. My plan is to use this as a starting point
  • Weight Training: after months of an injured shoulder, I have been slowly but surely getting myself back into it. I would like to up it a bit, but yet ease back into it so I don't hurt myself more.
  • Walk more: walk to the grocery store/work etc, I assure you nothing in this town is not accessible by foot, I have no excuse.
2) Diet Goals

  • Mix up my protein sources (I have a habit of wanting to eat almond butter all day and everyday)
  • Meal Plan for the week: I am horrible at budgeting., but I need to start doing it now...Ok like yesterday.
  • Figure out the best pre-workout snack/meal for my body. I either feel weighted down or get hunger pains...I'm on the search for that happy medium
  • Practice intuitive eating more...really listen to what my body needs and when it's had enough (and conversely, when it needs more)
  • Drink more water!!! I will be outside alot with my job, and its crucial to battle dehydration
3) Personal Goals

  • Learn when to say NO: This can be one of the toughest things for me. I want to believe that I am superwoman sometimes and can do anything and everything. I tend to pile my plate full of responsibilities and become way to in over my head. The only way to combat this is step back, ask myself "Do I have time? Is it worth my while? Is it going to be a source of stress?" and really weigh my options positive vs negative
  • Learn to live in the moment more: Its so easy to let these thoughts run my mind
"What's going to happen?
"What if this or that happens?
"What if something happens that has happened before?"
"How do I know?"
These contemplations have been ruling my mind lately and quite frankly, kind of taunting me. I think the most important thing I need to do is focus on the task ahead of me.
For example:
When I'm out running, I initially make a goal of where I'm going to go and how long/far etc. However, when I do this, I am concentrated on just getting there, and not focusing on the process. I lose attention to my form and my breathing and feel like the run itself becomes a struggle.
I think its important to get in touch with your body when you run. Closes your eyes, get into a breathing rhythm and let your body fall into that rhythm. So in this specific instance, I'm going to try not planning, no mapping out my route, not timing myself...just Going, feeling, and being during this time. This is time to myself, time to breathe, time to clear my head. 

What are your June Goals? Do you have any advice towards living in the moment?
What is your method for mixing up your protein source?




No comments:

Post a Comment