Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race Recap: Only the Beginning

Yesterday morning started with some quality SIAB fuel:

 
The Players: Frozen nanner, 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin, 1 scoop Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder, 1 scoop Chia Seeds, dash of molasses and 1/3 cup of Unsweetened Vanilla to the Magic Bullet and threw unsweetened coconut flakes on top....perfection!

And than came the race:

Running of the Pink 10K Run 2011

I've got to be honest...I was not prepared or trained up for this race. My goal for this 10K was to keep going and not stop to walk, finish in roughly an hour and make this race my starting point to my 10K journey (one race a month starting in August). The beginning of the run felt great, I had forgotten what it felt like to start a race with a crowd of runners surrounding you. The only way to explain it is you can feel everyone else's energy combine with your own, and its a pretty amazing feeling. Plus the fact, U2's "It's a Beautiful Day" was playing in my ears from my IPod and I was perfectly energized and hydrated from breakfast.

Both my drawback and advantage of the race was the fact that I had no idea what the route was, so I had no idea how far along I was or how much the roads would challenge me. I say this was both because although knowing the route can be a positive thing so you can plan out energy expenditure, not knowing allowed me to get in touch with the pace my body wanted to go at any given moment without worrying about what was ahead of me. This was a certain freedom as well because it allowed me to tune into the music playing in my ears, the emotions going through me and let my legs faster and slower accordingly.

Approximately half way through the race, I experience a category of runners high that I hadn't experienced for awhile. For once, I wasn't thinking of the end or the beginning, I was just focusing  on one stride at a time. And all the sudden, I had the fattest smile on my face. I realized that my legs didn't want to stop and I wasn't going to stop, I felt like I could accomplish this among other obstacles and all the sudden the fattest smile took up residence on my face and I just felt happy.

12 Stone's "Anthem for the Underdog" sang in my ears as I passed the finish line. I planned out my playlist perfect with this one as my last song, that perfectly came at the end of my race. This song is near and dear to my heart as it was my softball walkout song while I was in Texas and it motivates me now as much as it did than.
Overall, I'm very glad that I decided on getting an early start on my 10K journey, I finished in 1:02  and am excited to embark on the rest of my mission.

Running of the Pink Playlist
1. U2: Beautiful Day
2. Mika: Grace Kelly
3. Train: Drops of Jupiter
4. Rascal Flatts: Stand
5. Promise of Redemption: Away We Go
6. Leona Lewis: Bleeding Love (Dance Remix)
7. Florence and the Machine: Dog Days Are Over
8. Duffy: Mercy
9. Girl Talk: Play your Part Pt II
10 Kings of Leon: California Waiting
11. The Script: Fall for Anything
12. Sara Bareilles: King of Anything
13. Youngbloodz: I'mma Shine
14. 12 Stone: Anthem for the Underdog
What are your favourite running songs?



No comments:

Post a Comment