Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bitter [Sweet]

Today I took my last undergrad college exam. Last time that I will cram all night, lose sleep due to cell proliferation sequences running through my head, drank coffee til my stomach hurt and heart raced, broke into a minor case of stress tears and fell asleep cheek smooshed against a science text book (this happens alot more than I'd like to admit).

I wanna share with you a food that has always been crucial to my college existance. From the days of JuCo in Texas to the freezing Midwest. You can't find this stuff in a package. These bad boys come straight from the ground....


SWEET POTATOES

Calories

A medium sweet potato contains a total of 103 calories. Carbohydrates contribute 95 calories, and proteins provide the remaining 8 calories. A sweet potato provides about 5 percent of the daily value for calories, assuming a diet of 2,000 calories per day.

Protein and Fat

A serving of sweet potatoes contains 2 g of protein per serving, or 4 percent of the daily value for protein. Sweet potatoes contain no fats of any type, including saturated fats, unsaturated fats or trans fats. Sweet potatoes also contain no cholesterol.

Carbohydrates

Sweet potatoes have 24 g of total carbohydrates per serving, or 8 percent of the daily value for carbohydrates. This includes 4 g of dietary fiber, which is 16 percent of the daily value for dietary fiber. The carbohydrates in a sweet potato also include 10 g of simple sugar.

Vitamins and Minerals

A sweet potato has 438 percent of the daily value for vitamin A and 37 percent of the daily value for vitamin C. It also contains 4 percent of the daily value for calcium and iron. A sweet potato provides 542 mg of potassium, or about 11.5 percent of the daily value for potassium. The sodium content of a sweet potato is 41 mg, which is less than 2 percent of the daily value for sodium
[source]

Here's one of my favourite way to have 'em:


PB and J Coco-nutty Sweet Taters ( With our beautifully plaid couch in back drop)
All Natural Organic Peanut Butter
Fruit Preserves (I used Cascadian Farms Organic Raspberry)
Unsweetened Cocount Flakes
Nutritional Yeast
 Cinnamon
1. Microwave or Bake Potatoe
2. Top with whatever your heart desires
3. Enjoy!



Some exciting news: I emailed my teacher about my exam because I was real anxious about it (I had night mares about failing at life last night). She emailed me back saying this:

Hi Alyssa,

You can stop worrying, because you passed… by a fairly comfortable margin.  This was your 2nd best exam of the semester.
Graduation, here you come – good luck to you!

mjs

My day is made.

Hardwork does always and will always pay off....and apparently my life is about to take a big, scary transition into this so called "real world".  I'm going to choose to enjoy my last few days of college kid ignorance though and go about my ways like there's not gonna me a detrimental change happening right before me at any minute :)

What foods are staple in your life? Whats your favourite way to eat them? 


No comments:

Post a Comment